This Spiced Carrot Cake is gluten free, wheat free, vegetarian, and dairy free. It is full of anti-inflammatory spices like Ceylon cinnamon, cardamom, ginger and cloves. A healthier alternative to the traditional gingerbread.
Health benefits of the different ingredients
This cake is made with coconut oil, which is a medium chain fatty acid recommended by Stig and naturally sweetened from tigernut flour. It only has a small amount of unrefined muscovado sugar (or coconut sugar) which contains some minerals and antioxidants compared to refined white sugar. It is a healthier alternative to white sugar. Since it is still sugar, it should be limited to small amounts for optimal health.
MCT oil (derived from coconut oil) contains medium-length fat chains, which are absorbed more quickly from the gut directly into the blood and then passed on to the liver. Long-chain fatty acids, on the other hand, first need to pass through the lymph before they can go on to the liver.
Tiger nuts are small root crops that grow in North Africa and the Mediterranean and are naturally gluten-free and have a sweet and nutty flavor. It is high in fiber, iron, potassium, phosphorus, vitamins E and C. It has a high level of resistant starch that promotes prebiotic growth in the digestive tract and supports a healthy immune system. It also helps manage blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity.
Spiced Carrot Cake
- 4 Eggs
- 0.5 dl Coconut sugar or muscovado raw sugar
- 2.5 dl Tiger nut flour
- 1 dl Sorghum flour (Durrah)
- 1.5 dl Grated coconut
- 1.5 dl Raisins
- 0.5 – 1 tsp Vanilla powder (or vanilla sugar)
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp Cardamom powder
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Ground cloves
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 1 ½ dl Coconut oil or MCT oil
- 4 ½ dl Grated carrots
- Whisk together eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Wash and grate the carrots.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and fold the mixture into the egg mixture.
- Add the grated carrots and coconut oil (you may need to heat the coconut oil to liquefy if it is too hard).
- Bake in the oven at 150°C for 55 min.
- Leave to cool or refrigerate.
- Enjoy the cake with or without the frosting.
- Enjoy this cake with an anti-inflammatory tea – see recipe here
Optional Frosting:300 g vegan cream cheese
A splash of lime juice
1 teaspoon vanilla powder or honey
Here’s how to make the frosting:
- Mix all the ingredients for the frosting and put it on top of the cake or serve the frosting in a bowl on the side.
- If you put the topping on the cake and store it in the fridge, only put the topping on the pieces you plan to eat soon. Store the rest of the cake at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- As the cake is made with coconut oil, the texture can become a bit compact in the fridge and is therefore better stored at room temperature.
A supplement for your gut health
Want more energy and less bloating? It might be time to take better care of your gut. To strengthen or restore the balance in your gut flora, it's important you feed your gut with a daily dose of pre- and probiotics. A healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables is usually sufficient. If you want an extra boost or make sure you get a daily dose of good bacteria, you can complement your diet with a supplement.
Why should you take Synbiotic15?
A daily dose of Synbiotic15 helps to boost your immune system, improve your digestion, prevent inflammation, strengthen your gut flora, improve your skin and take care of simple stomach problems. It's a powdered mix of 4 patented lactic acid bacteria and 4 grams of prebiotic fibres, which act as food for the good bacteria. Based on over 15 years of research, developed in Sweden and 100% natural.
Add it to your daily (morning) routine and stir it in water, mix it with your smoothie, or take it as is! Get started today. Buy Synbiotic15 now.